My apologies everyone. Seriously, I have three drafts, I was trying, things just didn't' get going. A couple times Silas actually turned off the computer while I was in the middle of typing a post.
I tried doing that book quiz every one's been doing cause I thought that would be quick and easy but then the code wouldn't copy and paste right and I didn't have the time to figure it out. I'm Anne of Green Gables though. Something like I'm kind of mouthy but spunky and everyone loves me. Something like that.
I'm trying to think what we have been up to these days. We've re-instated a weekly pizza night, like we used to do back home. But we don't order in, I make it, and we don't play cards, but coloring and block building. It's been good fun so far. Friday we had a couple from Switzerland over with their 10 month old. Silas is such a mimic they had him speaking French by the time they left.
The other day we were eating lunch and I gave something to Silas, maybe it was a wasabi covered dried pea or something like that, and he took it out of his mouth saying "No like it" with the thickest Cockney accent you could have sworn he was Eliza Doolittle. So now we have to practice "the rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain."
We went hiking today, at a place called the Vee, which is a well known hiking spot in the area, but the first time we have been. It was quite nice. We also finally checked out a place just outside Lismore called The Towers, which are a couple of grand gate houses to a castle that was never built because the landlord ran out of money due to the famine. The stupid jerk kept trying the squeeze money from his starving tenants so he could keep building the castle, even evicting them to replace them cattle and sheep.
I had another ultrasound on Monday. I'd show you pictures but he gave us a blurry outline of the head and a picture of the baby's bladder (it was full, he informed us) and stomach. So it's not exactly adorable fetal photography. Everything is fine, though. The appointments alternate between seeing the consultant OB/GYN at the hospital and your nurse practitioner for weight/blood pressure/fetal heart checks. We did go up to the ward though. It was sort of depressing. Everyone seemed nice and knowledgeable, and I'm sure it's fairly hygienic. But the whole atmosphere was barely contained chaos in a bleak 1950's insane asylum wrapper. The good thing is it's only 2 minutes away, and they don't keep people there long if everything is normal. Still, I was wishing more than ever that those home birth midwives didn't live so stinking far away. Or that I could have been more persuasive to get them to come here for the birth.
We got this notice delivered a couple weeks ago too. Yep, we have a parasite in our drinking water. Apparently our water supply uses surface water. So we've been drinking run off from sheep dung. Great. Before I knew this I was a great proponent of drinking the tap water. Like I wasn't so bourgeois as to use bottled water. Now I feel icky even washing my hands in the water. I need to snap out of it a bit. Or start collecting rain water myself.
Oh yeah and a couple weekends ago when we went out to the Ring of Kerry we were really trying to go to Skellings Island and we had the boat tripped all booked, rain gear and picnic lunch packed. We confirmed the weather was good enough that boats were actually going. Silas was super excited that we were going on a boat. We get to the dock and they wouldn't let us board because Silas was too small. Yes, I told them we were bringing a two year old, apparently he didn't realize the normal size of a two year old, or something. He was worried about us getting sea sick and not being able to take care of him. I suppose if I had looked more obviously pregnant that wouldn't have helped the case either. And since neither Orrin and I are really experienced sea people I didn't feel I had much leverage. Poor Silas was being so sweet, he kept asking to go on the boat, and see the puffins, and all the other things we had talked about, it made me want to cry. Maybe tears would have convinced the guy. Or else he would have thought I was way too unstable to be on a boat.
2 comments:
Sorry Silas seems to want to wipe your musings-he doesn't realize what a gem it is going to be for him later-do keep a copy or does this extend forever? Be sure and boil your water-you can think of it as a G-mother reinactment! So great to hear what's up. LOVE MUM
Yuck about the water. I probably would have unnecessarily lost my mind and been calling whoever to discuss the length of time between discovery and notifcation...ha ha ha...I do like the question about ice cubes, because you know, if you can't drink the water, it's probably okay to still make ice out of it. Duh. I suppose one might think the freezing process would kill the parasite - but still, duh. Anyway, I drink bottled water - not because Chicago water is bad, I just find it more convenient, or something like that. More convenient to take a bottle of water to the couch as opposed to a cup. Actually, I when I drink regular water, I use a ridiculous number of cups - Trey can probably attest to this.
Post a Comment