Saturday, March 17, 2012

Saint Patrick's Day


Irish (steel cut) oatmeal with green sprinkles for breakfast this morning, though I actually considered buying Lucky Charms cereal at the grocery store last night. The conversation with the boys over breakfast was wonderful. We talked about who St. Patrick was, but from there veered to theology, how mythology develops, magic a
nd illusion, geology,
evolutionary biology, planetary physics, and kitchen chemistry. (see soda bread)
After breakfast a roofer came to give a quote for fixing it while Orrin was trapped in the garage getting the trampoline frame down from the rafters. Setting up the trampoline was without drama, except Silas whacking himself in the head with socket and ratchet. Now we can leap like leprechauns. It's still a leap year even if we missed leap day.
Lunch was corned beef with whiskey glaze, roasted parsnips and carrots, cabbage salad, boiled potatoes, and brown soda bread. My dilemma with St. Patty's day menu is always the
dessert, do I go green with key lime pie (esp. today when it feels so summery), or traditionally Irish with chocolate biscuit cake? I ended up with neither and made chocolate Guinness cake. As with the pint, the best part was the foam/frosting.
Orrin took the big boys, and the family we invited over for lunch down to the beach and I stayed home with a napping Reuben.
A far cry from how we spent last March 17th- planting potatoes.


No comments: