I needed the reminder. The reminder my son gave me tonight
in the form of a compliment about my squishiness. Not the compliment
might want to receive after having trained for months for a half ironman
race that is a mere two days away. He meant it sincerely, I am squishy and snuggley and he loves me for it, and that is why I am in such high demand from my children. He went on to talk about something we had read in a science book about myosin, a protein that limits muscle growth. "Because you have really big thighs."
But the reminder was that my perspective, my expectations, and connotations, are not the same as my children's. And it is my attitude and responses to these sweet and innocent and 100% honest statements that will determine their future conclusions.
So I didn't say, "That's not nice" or "I'm not squishy!"
Because it is nice. It's nice to be seen and loved. For your muscular legs to be something to aspire to and soft haired blonde heads to nestle into your soft tummy.
Instead, I said, " I'm glad you love my body. I love it too, it does everything I need it to do. I think I'm strong and healthy and beautiful."
No comments:
Post a Comment