Monday, February 12, 2007

Big Baby News

Not that big. Not that news. Not new baby news. That would technically be very, very, tiny, minuscule baby news. The news is that Silas is, at long last, officially weaned. The last time he nursed was Saturday, January 27th. 18 months and 11 days old.
Of course it's a little bittersweet when he sees me getting dressed in the morning and says "malk" and makes his little milk sign. He's not upset, it's just like he's rekindling a fond memory. It's very sweet to think that he remembers nursing, but isn't frustrated that he can't nurse anymore.
As for me, he'd been nursing only once or twice a day for a while so the transition was painless physically. And, surprisingly there was not much emotional upheaval either. I think if Silas would have been upset at all, I would have been too. But then, if either one of us were upset I guess we wouldn't have weaned in the first place.
I was so sure weaning was going to be so difficult, because it always upset me so much when someone would ask or suggest that I wean him. But I guess when the time was right for us, it just happened without too much struggle.
Which I hope is the case with the potty training, under which we are currently going. Not in earnest really. Silas had a really bad diaper rash in the last week so he's been going diaper-less around the house and occasionally making it to the potty. He is so proud of himself when he does go though, and insists on taking the container to the toilet and waving "bye-bye" to the pee.
OK, I wanted to get some post put up, because I was threatened with arson if I didn't. So there is a London post in the works after this too, but just in case that isn't done tonight, there will be something up.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Oh.

Weaning is so sweet and sad, but "bye, bye pee" is always funny.