Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Their weekend

For two days I had no idea where my husband and son were. Well, I knew there were still in Ireland since they hadn't taken their passports, and I figured they hadn't really gone that far because who would choose to go on a long drive alone with a 2 year old. Still, Orrin decided it was a secret where they were going to camp last weekend. I was able to call them and wish them a good night both nights however.

Upon their return in the early afternoon on Monday, I learned they had gone to Dungarven and Youghal . Not more than an hour away along the coast of South Eastern Ireland.

They left Saturday about 10 and hit Tesco for some rations for the weekend. Then decided the weather was too crappy in the nearby mountains and the coast was a better option.

They set up camp outside Dungarven, or rather Orrin set up camp and Silas "drove" (played in) the car, ate a lunch of perogis and sausage, then decided to take the five mile walk into town for some soft serve ice cream and chips. This journey took the rest of the afternoon, but sure what else can you hope for on a weekend away with a toddler?

Silas woke up early Sunday morning, and spent a few hours swinging on the big kid swings. Orrin said he was holding on really well and kept wanting to go higher. He was having so much fun that at one point he let go with both hands and Orrin's exclamation to hold on was just a second too late. So Silas came home with a small scrape on his chin.

After an oatmeal breakfast, they headed to the beach in Youghal. This time they camped illegally in some kind of church compound. Orrin found some place that wasn't visible to any of the cottages and had a gorgeous view and decided to save the 15 euro it cost him to camp the first night (Good thing I wasn't along because I never let him camp in unofficial areas, I'm a stick in the mud like that).

The rest of the afternoon was spent on the beach making sand castles up the beach as the tide came in. Silas would sit by the castle until the waves destroyed it then run up to the next one and wait for the waves to reach that one, getting soaking wet in the process. I'm sure he loved it.
There was an attempt for popcorn for dinner, nothing but nutritious fare on this trip, you see. Then I'm sure a couple rounds of Good Night Moon, and plenty of slipping, sliding, diving and flopping, amid therma rests, sleeping bags and blankets.

In the morning Orrin took the tent down early to avoid suspicion, and they ran around having a leisurely breakfast, Orrin even made himself a cup of tea. The walked along the cliffs along the coast and then made a quick trip into Cork city to pick up a new stereo.

I'm sure there were plenty of frustrating moments for both father and son, but I am really so grateful that Orrin took this short trip with Silas. Not only because it gave me a brief reprieve from Silas, and my first overnight away from him. But because it helps to build a strong and loving relationship between the two of them. Orrin certainly does an amazing and excellent job as a father on a daily basis, playing with, bathing, singing, putting to bed, but I know when the two of us are around it tends to be my way of doing things, my kisses that soothe the hurts. So when it just the two of them for a few days, Silas learns another way of approaching things, camping illegally for example.

Lessons Learned
  1. Four pairs of underwear are not enough for a two night camping trip with anyone in the middle of potty training.
  2. Cereal makes excellent snack and traveling food.
  3. Our camp stove is adequate to make popcorn only in non-windy locales.
  4. To a two year old the main functions involved in driving a car are taking Cd's in and out of the stereo, turning the lights on and off, and squirting windshield washer fluid (Luckily ours has not discovered the horn yet).

Pictures of the camping trip and others from the month of August available here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Am so happy to get a run down of O/S weekend- it warms a mothers heart to see her son with such a great parenting ethic-it's his personality/wife and some up-bringin -what the heck, it's the times too-so Kudos all around and Love from the homeland-LL