Tuesday, March 04, 2008

New Cookies

I'm quite fond of King Arthurs Whole Grain cookbook- the breads and cakes have all been pretty great so far. The cookies are a bit hit or miss. The whole wheat brownies have become my new standard- in fact the spinach brownies I made for Silas's second birthday were based on that recipe. But the chocolate chip cookies have been dismal each time I've tried it.
However, the chewy oatmeal decorating cookies I made this morning were really great. Sturdy, but not too crisp, wholesome, not too sweet (all the better for topping with lots of frosting!). They were easy to roll out and bake and held their shape perfectly. The only bad thing I have to say about them is the tops are a bit bumpy and the edges a bit ragged due to the oat flakes. But who really cares? It make have worked better to use a metal cutter, but my only "spring" cookie cutter was a plastic bunny, so that may have contributed.
Anyway, here's the recipe:

1 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar (or a little less)
1 large egg
2 t vanilla
3/4 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups all purpose flour
cinnamon sugar (optional)

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg, then vanilla, salt, spices, and baking powder. Stir in oats adn flours. It will look dry at first, but it will come together. Divide in two and refrigerate for 1/2 an hour. Heat oven to 350 F Roll out to 1/4 inch or so thickness. Place on greased cookie sheet. They don't spread so they can be close together. Bake 12-15 minutes (less time for chewy, more time for crisp). Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar while still warm for easy decorating. Or frost and decorate as desired. I did some with a little left over coconut icing on my bunnies, and sprinkled with dried coconut. Others I used some left over cream cheese pineapple icing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These cookies sound really good - I'm glad to have a little healthier cut-out cookie recipe for holiday baking. Wish you would have shared a picture of the results - and the process (especially of you and your helper(s)!)

Rachel said...

What the heck? How do you have time to do this and not work on the languishing cooking blog?

And yeah, pictures, come one.