Wednesday, July 13, 2005

How not to have a baby

So my due date, the 10th, came and went without so much as a Braxton Hicks contraction. Wonderful. It was really hot and we walked around town touring historic houses. And all the homeowners gave me horrified looks when they asked me when I was due and I cheerfully responded "Today!" and showed them the plastic sheet I would put down to protect their newly refinished hardwood floors if my water broke.
Monday I came in to work and spent the morning answering questions about why I was at work. It was very productive.
Tuesday I stayed home and went blueberry picking with Catherine and then we sat around and watched movies and played cards.
Today I decided to come in to work again and so far have spent most of the morning in much the same way as Monday. Listening to everyone tell me how to get the baby to come out, wanting to kill the women who stop by and tell me how their babies were early, trying to appear jovial. Microsoft Outlook appears to be rubbing it in by malfunctioning and giving me lots of overdue appointment notices from when I was out yesterday. Thanks outlook, as if that weren't already on my mind.
And a doctors appointment this afternoon. Where she will tell me again, "Any day now" and I will want to crush her head between my knees.

No comments: