Sunday, March 26, 2006

Speak to me, my muse

Last night, as every night, I was sitting in the dark, on a yoga ball, nursing my son to sleep. On the spare bed were a stack of diapers. As the moonlight streamed in through the window, a wrinkle in the cloth diaper looked just like a miniature sleeping baby. I thought, 'I'd never see anything other than the printed cartoon characters on a disposable diaper.'
And then I started to think about all the reasons why I love using cloth diapers. There's the incredible amount of money they save. So much that I never feel bad buying the organic bananas or spinach to feed Silas. There's the knowledge that you are not contributing to the 50 kajillion disposible diapers that go into landfills every year.
But my favorite thing about using cloth diapers is the sense of accomplishment I glean from using them. For instance, let's say I don't make the bed, or shower, or even get out of my pj's on any givien day. Let's say the only thing I do is feed the baby and change the baby. Well, that's enough. Because I'm not throwing away diapers. And on days when I wash diapers, even though I know have a european front loading machine, which means having to place every diaper in the drum not just dumpting, those days are even better. I don't even have to make dinner on those days.

No comments: