- I think I have recovered my bullets. I gave up trying to make specialized ones and just reverted back to the standard issue bullets. Time I should have spent doing something productive.
- I am reading a book about American transplants in Cork, Ireland called "Jaywalking with the Irish." It's written in a very bizarre style. For example one sentence says "An acquaintance from Dublin, now housing half the country's population, was telling us a story about his boyhood in Donegal." So, is this acquaintance some kind of slum lord? I could understand doing this, if the larger theme of the paragraph or chapter were about population movement, or housing, or growth of cities in Ireland. But it wasn't. It was just stuck in there like he had to squeeze in random facts where they didn't belong. The more I read of it, the more it seems like the manuscript got put in a blender and the publisher just pasted it back together any which way.
- I've been thinking maybe I should try to write more cultural observations about Ireland, but I don't feel like the few people I know here really qualify me to even comment on what is or isn't "the Irish way." Reading this book makes me think any yahoo can scribble down random thoughts and even get paid to have it published.
- Along the same lines, I got an anonymous comment from someone who is Irish that said I had an "obviously well informed and educated style." Oh, anonymous, I want to shout your name from the mountain tops! So, maybe I will try to be a little more observant about the country around me and try to write about it. Is there anything you are itching to know about?
- How about this? The Irish, and probably the English too, pronounce the letter "h" like 'heche' and "z" is 'zed.'
- Just the other day Orrin was telling me about how in high school home economics class he was in charge in making the cornbread for the final dinner project. It wasn't a total success, he said, because it turns out there is a difference between a teaspoon and a table spoon of salt. Well, do you think I'll learn a lesson from this? No, I put three Tablespoons of baking powder in a cake instead of 3 teaspoons, and ended up with cake batter all over the oven and the smell of burning sugar all through the house. It just gave me an excuse to have some people over to eat fiasco cake and mayhem sauce. (Sauce required to cover up the extra crispy top of the cake)
- Silas could be Deb from Napoleon Dynamite. Tonight he was nursing and I swear posing me for a glamour shot. He'd curl my fingers into a fist and place it under my chin. Then he'd pull it down and place it over my chest. No, no, try draping it across my face, Mom.
"Okay, turn you head on more of a slant... Now, make a fist. Slowly ease it up underneath your chin. This is looking really good. Kay, hold still right there. Now, just imagine you're weightless, in the middle of the ocean, surrounded by tiny little seahorses. That was one that I think is gonna come out really nice."
6 comments:
This post made me miss you so much. I don't know why. You're just so funny and I wish I could stroll over to your house for fiasco cake.
"Do you have some sort of vest I could wear?"
Or "How about some gold braclets?"
The English do say "zed" for "z". I think it is so cute.
Hey. Thanks for coming by my place. Any friend of Casey's is a friend of mine. I've been here a few times, but didn't feel comfortable leaving my first comment on the post where you flashed your boob. And I agree with Irish Anonymous that your style is both well informed and educated. Now I know where to come for all my Irish cultural observation needs.
I like the little diamond bullets you're using. I do have instructions for custom bullets posted on my blog . . . . feel free to borrow them if you still want to try making some.
Post a Comment