Friday, August 04, 2006

Scandinavia here we come.

Last night we ran a 5k. We. Orrin, Silas, me. Except Silas didn't actually run. But he traveled the 5k. It counts right? And he won us a couple of bottle of wine in the process.
Even in little tiny Clogheen there is a 5k race with prizes. Prizes for first and last in all the age groups. Prizes for they guy who competed in a wheelchair. Prizes for youngest racer. Oldest racer. And a prize for the crazy guy who pushed the buggy across the finish line.

After the race they served tea and cookies in the parish hall. Hot tea. I was skeptical. Nothing more refreshing after a jog on a summer night like a mug of hot tea. Oddly enough, it was pretty nice. Silas especially enjoyed the custard creams. He was a very good sport all evening, even though we kept him out until 10:00. Must have been all the sugar in the cookies.

The people we ran with also talked me into running a triathlon in a couple weeks. It's a short one, I think it's 750 meter swim, 20 km bike, and 5k run. I know I can do all those things individually. Can I do them in a row? Not so sure, but I guess there is only one way to find out. I just wish I didn't have to find out in a freezing cold lake. At least I'll be wearing a wetsuit.

Tomorrow morning we leave for Copenhagen. Actually we fly into Malmo, Sweden then take the bridge over to Copenhagen. We plan to rent bikes with a baby seat, and are staying in a private home. It's kind of like a B&B except the second B is bring your own, serve yourself. I don't know, it was much cheaper than a hotel and is supposed to be in a 'hip' neighborhood.

Among the sights we'll be seeing is the Gefion Fountain, as recommended by Mamsis. Supposed to be much better than the little mermaid statue.

This is also the trip the Schek family was *supposed* to take with us. So, we'll have to take extra good notes and pictures for them.

No posts until at least Tuesday then. I know, you'll be holding your breath.

2 comments:

Casey said...

I am so impressed that you can run a 5k.

Have fun on your trip.

KLee said...

I wish I could head off to Scandinavia!

I'm also impressed that you can even THINK of doing a 5K, much less a triathlon! It makes me tired, just thinking about it!