Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Allow me to kick you in the bladder

Orrin and I can never agree on this co-sleeping thing. I know in the end, everyone really does sleep better when Silas is sleeping in his crib. Silas likes to kick and tickle and squirm. And nurse and nurse and nurse when he sleeps in bed with us. So really, I guess Silas sleeps just fine no matter where he is. And Orrin really doesn't get disturbed too much either way.

Ok, so maybe when I say everyone sleeps better, I mean I sleep better when Silas is in his crib. Eventually. After the heart rending, guilt inducing, cover your head with a pillow, screaming is over for the night. And in the morning we're all happy and well rested.

But here in Germany, Silas is in his little cot next to my bed. So he's not quite in the bed with me, but close enough. If he wakes in the middle of the night he stands there and screams and reaches for me. And in the middle of the night the truth of a better night sleep is blurry and I just want to lie down. So into bed he is scooped and nestled and nuzzled and, yes, nursed. And even though I am kicked in the kidneys and my arm goes numb, at least I'm horizontal.

Good night.

No comments: