Friday, January 18, 2008

Some very dull things indeed

Emmet is slowly getting back on Ireland time. Much of last night was spend grunting and squirming and he finally conked out about 2 am. But he's been sleeping ever since waking only three times to nurse. It's 3 o'clock now.
Somehow, as an exclusively breastfed baby he is already a picky eater. Offer him one side, he screams in unholy terror. However, the right side he attacks ravenously. It's a fantastically comfortable situation for me.
Otherwise he's been really super good. Tolerating his brother's "I'm just patting him," "I'm just checking him," "hey you Emmet," and "look at those little hands, look at those little feet! (squeeze!)" with the patience and decorum that I surely can not muster at 28 years old.
Silas's potty training regression seems to have come to an end, thank god. But he's sleeping like a newborn again- awake every couple hours, screaming, and wanting to be in body contact with one of his parents. He was sick for a couple days after we returned and I know he's had major upheaval with a new baby in the house, and traveling, and all. So I'm trying to cut him some slack, but it's wearing pretty thin.
He's extremely cute when he's not screaming, so that's a saving grace. He helped me make potato with ham and cheese sauce casserole for dinner tonight. Of course his obsession with grating meant he handled the swiss cheese and also, "I find the the nut egg, I grate the nut egg, I hold the nut egg."
Grandma Linda will be happy to know that he is hooked on board games already. We bought the Hungry Caterpillar game and a friend brought over CandyLand (a preschool version that is just matching colors and shapes) and he wants to play them all day.
And of course the new books from Aunt Catherine and Great Aunt Anne have been a hit, and that's all we've read. The Give a Mouse a Cookie Treasury only has one draw back, that it is so big it's hard to hold while also nursing Emmet. I tried convincing Silas that I could tell him the story of "the mouse book" but no, he needs the pictures he needs "the book of the mouse book."
Pictures from Christmas as soon as I untangle the card reader from the nest of electronics on top of the book shelf. Anyone have any brilliant storage ideas for cameras, mp3 players, camcorders, etc. that prevents cables and batteries and all from becoming a terrifying mess. It really doesn't even have to be brilliant, just not idiotic, as our current throw it in a wicker basket system seems to be.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

1) Glad the Hungry Caterpillar game is a success.
2) Do you think Silas's fervor for grating hints that he's inherited your passion for cutting things? I mean, grating is just another form of taking a big thing and making it into many small things. And that "nut egg" bit is hilarious.