Thursday, February 21, 2008

Austria and home again

Austria was fantastic. It was cold, but we had some snow flurries which were pretty and an chance run in with an ice rink that felt like something out of a fairy tale.
Traveling with two kids was much harder than with one. One kid, you can still be a hip couple sneaking into a cafe table for two, while the little one snuggles in. Two kids, and then suddenly there are really four of you, and you're really a family, and good lord why are there so many hats and mittens!
Anyway, the pictures are here, with added captions. I can't really think of too much else to say about it. Salzburg was lovely, but small, so I can't see myself ever needing to go back. Vienna was gorgeous and I wish we could have gone to an opera or a couple museums. I could have spent another week there.
It was a rocky couple days being back home. Silas determined to contradict every thing I said to him, screaming and whining at every possible opportunity. Today, he was a complete angel. Picking up his toys, playing with Emmet and me, generally being sweet and cute as could be. A little boy- one year old- came over this morning was was trying to climb up to Emmet in teh swing. Silas ran over and said "No Ethan! Careful with baby Emmet! Be gentle with Emmet!"
He went to bed easily for Orrin too. They have started reading Pippi Longstocking. Three pages a night, then a discussion for comprehension. Orrin hasn't made him write a book report with visual aids yet, but I assume that is around the corner. Then the lullaby of the moment, Jingle Bells.
Emmet giggled for the first time this morning. He has a little bit of a cold, but seems to be taking it in stride.
I made a delicious pumpkin cake with whole wheat and barley flour, apricots, and crystalized ginger. I made it with fresh pumpkin- that is, not canned. It was from Halloween, so not exactly fresh...
In unrelated news I think I'm going to do a half marathon in Dublin this summer. It's supposed to be really cool with bands, and all kinds of atmosphere, but will I be able to enjoy it as I'm doubled over with cramps and delirious from lack of oxygen?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the travelogue and the other family news...but it made me realize you need to update the photo at the heading of your blog...lest Emmet feels left out! Much as I love the existing picture, Emmet is old enough to be included, especially if he's giggling!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a great time traveling even with two. Austria was my favorite too but i don't know about in the cold! Silas looked pretty cold in some of those pictures.

Anonymous said...

great keeping up on here with the travels-we wish we had taken in more pre-ordered shows in Vienna-it seems to go so fast and no luck getting into anything. I'm glad your 2 kid experiences went well-I'd hate to see your Europe spree cut short due to growing family-MUM