Tuesday, August 22, 2006

20 questions

  • How is it that Silas could sleep through a freaking jack hammer breaking up a sidewalk on our run this morning, but last night one errant foot step on a creaking floorboard and he was wide awake and ready to play?
  • Who in their right mind would buy the metre long marshmallow kebob as seen in the window of O'Neills Sweet Shop?
  • What is that clicking sound in my right knee every time I go up the stairs?
  • Will it go away soon?
  • Or, Will I finally succumb to my mother-in-law's suggestion of making a diaper changing station downstairs to prevent having to go upstairs 50 million times a day?
  • Why did Silas take his first steps last night only when being tempted by a little girl with a bag of crisps?
  • How many times will Silas hit the "Shapes! Colors! Animals!" button on the Baby Einstein turtle before the batteries go dead?
  • Why did they try to remake Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?
  • What *is* the proper way to transport a snake on a plane?
  • Why does my MP3 player not last more than a week without needing a new battery?
  • Will I get to sleep tonight before or after Silas wakes up for the first time?
  • Can we stretch out 1.5 litres of milk, usually our limiting food item, until Saturday morning?
  • Or, Will I have to go grocery shopping, again, before heading back to Michigan for a week?
  • How creative will I have to be with the items in the pantry to avoid this shopping trip?
  • Why do I ask Orrin to help me in the kitchen when I am clearly such a control freak in that area that I get testy and annoyed because you are supposed to mix the garlic salt into the butter and then spread it on the bread, not just sprinkle the garlic salt on top of the buttered bread?
  • How does Silas know that it is just at these exact moments that he should start whining and clinging to my pants?
  • Do you get any nutritional benefit from broccoli if you chew, chew, chew it, spit it out, smear it on the floor, scrape it up, and repeat?
  • If I am this tired now, what will 12 hours of traveling and 5 hours of jet lag do to me?
  • When will the tomatoes in the garden turn red? (probably while we are gone, and spoiled by the time we are back)
  • Is it bedtime? (Yes, yes, it is.)

6 comments:

Casey said...

Two thoughts:
1. You are so funny, but

2. what is happening to you? You used the word "crisps" instead of "chips." It's like I don't even know you anymore.

Bridget said...

Casey-
1. Thanks a million!
2. Luckily, I am coming home soon for deprogramming.

Henry said...

She also used "metre". I suspect the situation if far more grave than Casey thought. The damage is done...

Ellis sends his congratulations to Silas on his first steps. Both Ellis and his Papa do not find it surprising that something for his pie hole put the boy into unassisted motion.

ccw said...

Congrats to Silas on his first steps, even if he did require a bribe.

You have asked lots of good questions. Alas, I have no good answers, but I do know that toys that drive you crazy use batteries at a much slower rate than the ones you like.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Silas! Becoming mobile for potato chips, a man after my own heart.

Lise M. said...

What!?! Silas took steps? Why is everyone assuming it was the crisps he craved and not the little girl? Yes, make a changing place downstairs - I told Rachel to do that, too, in June! Listen to your elders - we've been there! That creaking in your knee could be arthritis - fear it, it runs in both sides of your family! Sorry, you can pick your nose, you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your friends' noses - or your genes!