Sunday, August 20, 2006

It comes in a blue box

One of the first things the other American women told me, or warned me, maybe, about relocating to Ireland is that "They don't have macaroni and cheese!"

Being raised on the macaroni and cheese that is made from boiled macaroni noodles, hunks of velveeta cheese, and a splash of milk, I wondered which of these ingredients was not available in Ireland. Maybe no velveeta cheese, but I know they have cheese and milk and noodles. Maybe not elbow macaroni? "Oh no," they said, "They don't have the Kraft macaroni and cheese."

I hope they didn't see me as snobbish, because, I've eaten A LOT of that orange Kraft stuff. In fact, because my mom made the velveeta kind I'm sure I preferred the kind out of the blue box, just to make life difficult. But really. Shouldn't the "you can't get that here" proclamations be reserved for basic ingredients, like kale or cocoa, (both of which I've since located) not convenience foods, like packaged crescent rolls? Honestly, it takes less time to combine flour baking powder, butter, and milk than it does to hunt down the crescent rolls in the one grocery store that carries them.

So last night I made good, old-fashioned, macaroni and cheese with toasted bread crumbs on top. I used the recipe in the Cooks Illustrated "Best Recipe" book. It was really good, although Orrin commented that "it's too creamy and not oily enough." Yeah, I know what kind of complaint is that? "This meat, could you make it a little less moist and tender next time." Crazy-making.

10 comments:

KLee said...

Mmmm....mac and cheese. See, to me, the Kraft stuff? That's not macaroni and cheese. That's something that's masquerading as mac and cheese. If I'm having a boxed m&c, I'll go for one of the kinds with the sauce pouches, not a powder.

I mostly make mac and cheese from scratch for big family get togethers. I have an old cookbook that has a GREAT recipe in it, and I'll make that one. But, Kraft? Blech!

lucy said...

i had mac and cheese last night! i made it with tubini, so i kind of looked like blue box. what's wrong with orrin? next time i just wouldn't give him any.

Lise M. said...

The real problem is that people, especially American people, have become so far removed from the actual sources of food, the blue box with the orange powder IS macaroni and cheese! Making a white sauce (what's that?!?) and shredding in cheese is so foriegn to most eaters, it's really sad. I'm glad to know there are a few eaters and cooks who know how to use food stuffs in thier natural state. If the giant food processors ever disappear, there will be a lot of hungry people wallowing in abundance. How many of you would recognize rhubarb growing in a fence row...and know which part is edible?

ccw said...

LOL!

I love to make real mac n' cheese, but when I do Kid L always mentions how she likes the kind from the box better. Maddening; although I will admit that I crave powdered orange cheese from time to time.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...powdered orange cheese.

Yankee, Transferred said...

I think I am the only person on the planet who doesn't like macaroni and cheese of any variety. Box, homemade with Velveeta, homemade with cheddar...I just don't like it. I stand alone in my family.

purple_kangaroo said...

That's so funny. Did you make it with white sauce, or just layer noodles and cheese? My mom always used to just layer noodles and cheese sprinkled with some salt and pepper, and bake it. That would be more oily and less creamy. :)

Casey said...

Y'know, I kind of prefer the powdered cheese to the velveeta when it comes to box mixes. Obviously, baked is best, but I'll not pass up blue box mac. Okay, yes I would because I'm trying not to eat cheese, but if I did eat cheese, I would eat it and love it. The kraft stuff, that is.

Oh, oh! I would know what part of the rubarb to eat! Really!

Bridget said...

I made it with evaporated milk, eggs, s&P, and cheddar cheese. I was supposed to use tabasco sauce, but didn't have any, so I put in worschershire sauce. Not such a great idea. It made it taste a little like chex mix. Ok maybe it wasn't such a bad idea!

Counter to just about ever other recipe in The Best Recipe book, they actually tell you to use more processed foods for a creamier texture. They actually recommend using american cheese, and evaporated milk is preferred because it's more stable.

Hydrogenate me!

Lise M. said...

Casey, I knew you would know about rhubarb!