I was having coffee this morning over an an acquainence's house. A woman there was telling us how she let her baby play with the phone and he had managed to push the proper sequence of buttons to "lock" the phone, making her unable to use the phone. She was telling us how she fiddled with it all day trying to figure out how to unlock it. Then her husband came home, took one look at it, pushed three buttons and unlocked it. She said, "That's why he's an engineer, and I'm just staying home with the baby. "
What if you're an engineer and also "just" staying home with the baby? Or maybe I shouldn't call myself an engineer anymore? Domestic engineer? Ugh, no.
Maybe I shouldn't take it so seriously. There are plenty of times I've made jokes about Orrin just swooping in and figuring out something that I've been struggling with. But these instances are usually met with frustration and mock agony, "How did you DO that!" Not "Oh, I guess I never could have figured that out."
And what is with the just?I don't really go in for the proclamations that motherhood, and staying home, and raising your children is the most important job you can do, but obviously I think it is important enough to trade in a good salary, a social life, and good portions of my sanity. So could we do away with the "just?"
Am I being too touchy?
4 comments:
No, I think you're right. That read as a touch too "just a housewife" for me as well.
At any rate, being a mom is a tough job that does not get NEAR enough of the accolades it deserves.
As for the new job description, I would say you are a Family Management Specialist. Sounds about like what we do on a daily basis -- manage our families, and it sure is a special job! :)
It's a conspiracy - men know how to fix/operate the things that other men have built/designed/programmed. Get these men out of their element and see how they fare!
Raising children IS the hardest and most important job anyone (male or female) can do. It is the basis of society and surely it's future depends on the quality of the job done today. I blame the media (and the media blamers) for trivializing the undertaking.
I think you are righteously annoyed.
I would have been annoyed by the comment and saddened that the woman was putting herself (and other SAHM) down.
Post a Comment