Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Buttermilk Pie Crust

Ok, I know I just posted about making a quilt. And now I am writing about pie crust. I am not becoming Amish.

Although, I once told a guy a went to school with that I was Amish, and somehow; maybe it was the plain clothes, straight long hair, and goofy taste in music, he believed me. Most ridiculously of all, he asked me to knit him a pair of socks from "our" sheep, so I bought a pair of cotton socks to give to him. I guess if he can't tell the difference between an atheist and an Amish, he can't tell the difference between cotton and wool.

Oh well. Pie crust.

Ok. So, I thought I made a prety good pie crust. Despite my supreme lack of patience, which comes in very handy when making pastry, patience that is, not the lack of, I had pretty well figured out a cream cheese crust that seemed to come out well 7/8ths of the time. 1/8th of the time it came out crumbly and difficult to work with, but somehow also kind of tough when it was baked.

I have been promising Orrin an apple pie for a couple months now. It is his favorite pie. Kind of insipid if you ask me, but ok, apple pie it was. Silas and I went out to the orchard last week and picked up a big box of bramley apples. We've been eating a fair number fresh, putting to test my Grandpa's adage not to eat anything unless you are hungry enough to eat an apple. And finally yesterday I spotted a few that were starding to get bad spots. I figured I couldn't put off the pie any longer. I pulled out The Pie and Pastry Bible and flipped to the cream cheese recipe.

Egads! The cream cheese was covered in various shades of slime mold. All butter crust it is.

Hang on, I also have a jug of buttermilk that was about to go bad. Maybe I should have titled this post "How To Make Pie When All Of Your Ingredients Are Spoiled." The book had a variation of the butter pie crust which replaced the typical water and cider vinegar with an equal amount of buttermilk.

I made the crust yesterday and today I made the pie. It took me all day, off and on, to peel and slice the apples, macerate the apples with sugar, reduce the apple juice, roll out the crust, fill the crust, chill the pie, and bake it. But my goodness, it was worth it.

This crust is the best I have ever made. I am sorry to eat it because I want my triumph to last forever. And yet it is so tender and flakey, like a crispy little croissant, I'm having a hard time not shoving the whole pie down my, well, pie hole.

So I'm sure you are all dying for this fabulous recipe and here it is. This makes two crusts. You can freeze one, or make two immediately, you will want it. I will say that I do not adhere to Ruth Beranbaum's crazy ass hand method of making pie crust which involves putting it in a ziploc bag and rolling it and some weird kneading technique. I just cut in the butter into the dry ingredients then add the liquid and mix it all together until it forms a cohesive lump.

14 T butter
2 1/4 c. pastry flour or bleached all purpose
1/4 t salt
1/4 t baking powder
8 T buttermilk

Fill it with whatever your heart desires.

9 comments:

Lise M. said...

This recipe makes two crusts - enough for two single-crust pies or one double-crust, is that right? Did you use a crumble (Dutch) topping on your apple pie? Even the "plain old apple" pie sounds DELISHOUS(sic.)! I hope Orrin enjoyed it too. I think I'll try your recipe - I have Granny Smith apples falling off the tree here!

Bridget said...

right- two crusts, one double crusted pie, or two single crusted.

ccw said...

An easy crust recipe that sounds delicious. I will have to give this a try.

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing about the socks. I wonder what that guy is doing now?

Catherine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Catherine said...

There is nothing wrong with being Amish, they have good skills (not a cool as being good with a bowstaff though)

purple_kangaroo said...

Wow, I've never heard of making a crust with buttermilk . . . I'll have to try it with soured rice milk and see if it turns out.

Casey said...

This post really makes me wish I could cook.

Anonymous said...

Yes, its true, I was once a little Amish girl, but not anymore. My mother was the best pie baker this side of the Mississippi! I learned my pie baking skills from mom. I am excited to try this! It better be good! I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

LEDs, first developed in the early 1960s, produce light by moving electrons through a semiconductor.

For the LED light, there are mainly 3 kinds
of white colors - warm white, natural white
and cool white. The much talked about drawback, the lack of evenly
distributed light in LED lamps too has been now satisfactorily
sorted out by Sharp with their proprietary coating technique of the
glass enclosure.

my homepage Stehleuchten