Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Halloween!

So, what is Halloween in Ireland like?

Today as I walked into town at 1 pm a 10 year old boy and his brother were walking down the street in costume trick or treating to everyone walking down the sidewalk. The only thing I had in my pockets were house keys, cell phone, and a rubber band for my hair. I didn't have so much as a penny or a stick of lip balm to give them. Tricks it is, I guess. At least I don't think they followed me home.

We have heard fireworks going off all night for the past few nights. And lots of radio commentary warning of the dangers of fireworks; they are illegal in the Republic and only available with a license in the North. Bonfires are another popular way of celebrating. Except from what we can gather, a bonfire and a trash fire are somewhat synonymous. Several of Orrin's co-workers have been asking around for old tires.

Silas's costume- very scary, as you can see- was a skeleton. My mom sent the top half and I painted the bottom half. Ruined a perfectly good pair of sweatpants in the process. Actually, I think the homemade bottoms turned out even better than the Bangldeshi-produced top. However, they did accentuate his slight bowlegged-ness.

We took Silas trick-or-treating tonight with some friends around their neighborhood. He walked the entire time and put all the candy he received into the other kids buckets. He pretty well eschewed the lollipops for the butter cookies we made and decorated last night. Just like his momma, the higher the fat content the better.

So, it's not the Halloween Capital of the World (the town where we previously lived claimed this honor), but fun and
festive enough that we didn't just hide out in our house with the porch light turned off. And, it was a good excuse to try all these "foreign" candies; Lion Bar, Crunchie, Aero, Bounty Bar, Twirly, Flake, Buttons, CurlyWurly, DoubleDecker, Smarties, and Maltesers.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh Aero bars are so good. When I was in England I have an Aero mint bar that was very tasty (and super minty!) And Lion Bars are pretty good too...

Lise M. said...

Silas looks FAB! and ever so SCARY! What do you mean you ruined his sweat pants? He should be able to wear them just like they are! You're right, though, the bones you painted are a 1000 times better!
Did you save some samples of your Halloween haul for us to try at Christmas? Sounds like an interesting holiday in Ireland. Thanks for the picture, I love it!

Anonymous said...

When do you do a review of all them "foreign" candies? I need my candy, er, cultural horizons broadened.