Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Mandelbrot Veggies

For the past week or two our evening meals have consisted of a pile of starch covered with toppings of some sort. Now, there has been a good variety in the contents of these stacked piles. For example, pasta of various shapes, rice, couscous, bulgar wheat, quinoa, covered with assorted meats, beans, and veggies and accompanying sauces. The results are usually tasty, nutritious, we can usually get Silas to eat some portion of the meal, and it has the added benefit of having only two pots to wash after dinner is over.

But there is something lacking in this heap of a dinner. Can you tell my feelings by the way I describe food as a heap or a pile? I think it may be the midwesterner in me that feels like a dinner place should be divided up like those molded plastic picnic plates, a section for the main course (meat or protein), a section for the vegetable, and a section for the starch (potato or bread).

So tonight I cooked up a three section meal. Sausages in a cider-onion sauce, buttermilk mashed potatoes, and broccoli from outerspace!!




Ok, actually it's romanesco. A relative of broccoli ad cauliflower. Isn't it gorgeous?

It's like the fractals Mr. Rajca tried to explain to me in high school and I thought were the most amazing thing since the periodic table. The man at the market told me it would turn Orrin into a Romeo if I fed it to him, but he went to sleep as soon as Silas fell asleep (7:30pm) tonight. So I conclude that the veg. was too much for him, smaller doses next time. Actually I think he is getting sick.

Anyway, the stuff tastes just like broccoli so far as I can tell. Maybe a little bit firmer in texture, and a little milder. But basically the same taste, nearly identical nutritionally, and at least 3 times as beautiful.

On an unrelated topic, here's a picture of my craftiness for the day. It's a mei tei baby carrier I made for a friend's baby shower in December. I'm most proud that after spending weeks wringing my hands, not wanting to start it, trying to figure out what I was doing, I made the whole thing in one afternoon and evening. Ok, note that it is nearly midnight. Still, less than 12 hours, and look what I made! I'm a little worried that she is going to think it is too hippy-ish, but too bad.

I still have to tell you about our trip to Dublin last weekend and the exciting, awesome, amazing time we had with my cousin Lindy.

6 comments:

Lise M. said...

Bridget, the Mei Tai is BEAUTIFUL! I like to make them because they are like a quilt (creative piecing and quilting) but not (small and quick to complete- relatively speaking). I have a little booklet of instructions, with pictures, that I made to go with the "hippie" baby carrier. I'll send it you, if you like.
The new wave broccoli is pretty cool, too. Wonder if I can grow it in the garden here?

Bridget said...

yes please do send teh instruction book, that would be nice to give with the gift.
i think you probably can grow it- i saw seeds for it at teh garden center here, and I imagine it must have the same growing requirements as regular broccoli. but you'd have to grow it from seed probably, which might be difficult. unless you can find a place to order seedlings.

ccw said...

That "broccoli" is very pretty.

I love the Mei Tai.

Anonymous said...

#1: FRACTALS!!! AREN'T THEY SO COOL!?! i look at branching trees and think about them, and there's this electron scattering thing in one of my buildings- fractals! oh man they are so awesome.

#2: the mango is unREEEEEEEEEEEALLLL

#3: hm i have no #3. maybe i should actually post on my own blog instead... idea...

Casey said...

That is the coolest vegetable I've ever seen. Really.

Anonymous said...

ooh, we buy the outerspace broccoli sometimes at the big asian market! it's suuuper cool. yeah, the first time I ever saw it I just stood and stared with my mouth open like a chump.