This morning as I was facing the baskets of laundry that I had to fold and put away, I looked out the window and saw big fat flakes of snow falling softly to the ground. Eagerly tossing the crumpled masses of clean laundry, I scooped Silas up, put on his pants, boots, and coat grabbed the camera and headed out the door.I don't think Silas has seen snow since we left Minnesota almost a year ago. So we had a wonderful time stomping around in it and leaving our footprints behind us. Silas kept looking up into the whiteness and tried to catch flakes on his tongue. I didn't even show him how to do it. I think he was just amazed by this cold fluff and when he opened his mouth to show his surprise a few flakes fell in. He couldn't get enough!
I made him a few snowballs, and he tried to make a few himself, but then decided it was more fun tomake the alligator mittens chomp the snow into bits than to make a cohesive ball. I tried to make a a little snowman because the snow was perfect for packing, but Silas wasn't interested and kept trying to take off down the road. So we didn't get any farther than the bottom ball.He shook bits of snow off the trees and bushes, tried to pick the berries off the neighbors holly tree, and made a snow angel. OK, it turned out as more of a snow blob with foot prints all over it.
Orrin called to say that many of his co-workers were hoping work would be cancelled, although all in all, less than an inch fell. It was coming down very heavily, in huge fluffy flakes. Snow at its very best.Afterwards Silas and I warmed up with cinnamon toast and pear tea while watching Julie Andrews on the Muppet show.
Now it is almost all melted as the sun has come out, and there is a steady dripping outside all the windows. All that is left are a few patches of white in the shady spots, and the beginnings of a snowman's legs.
5 comments:
Too much fun to wish away- sorry we didn't have it for S at Christmas-but I wasn't sad to not have it to shovel- we had a great ice on trees/picture perfect day or two last week and a little ground snow this-but are in for the real thing this weekend and I'm not thinking snow angels!-LL
Wonderful post...and pictures - especially the photo of Silas surveying the vast expanse of new-fallen snow from the doorway...oh, the possibilities!! Glad you both took the time to enjoy the day - maybe Silas will learn his snowman-making skills from his papa, a world-renowned snow (and sand) sculptor!
He is so cute!
I love watching the little ones in the snow.
Man....it makes me wish we got snow here. For about two hours, and then I'd probably hate it.
Silas looks like he's having SUCH fun! :) What a cutie!
we had an unprecedented 4" here. you'd think it was a major natural disaster, the way people reacted. everything shut down for 2 days, even though the snow stopped halfway through the first. they certainly couldn't drive in it. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.
Post a Comment