Monday, March 26, 2007

Because our motto is "Why buy a piece of crap when you can make one?"


And because it would be a challenge for a muscle building contortionist to rub Silas's hands with soap under the faucet while holding his squirming body up to the sink. And because I generally prefer wood, ceramic, or metal to plastic whenever possible, and I couldn't find a reasonably priced wooden stool anywhere in Ireland.
For all these reasons we decided to spend part of Saturday sawing and sanding and painting to make a little footstool.
The paint we used was a pain- I didn't realize it wasn't water soluble when we bought it, so it made a real mess. But the stool is perfectly stable and level, and Silas loves being able to peek up onto the counter tops.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Very cute- both the pictures of the process and the final product.

I hope that this post means you had some free time because Silas is on the mend.

Lise M. said...

Imoressive little step-stool! It's even more so when you consider the limited access to power tools. It reminded me of the fact that my father build their first bedroom furniture with nothing but hand tools and a circular saw. I guess it's all in the design - and the engineers! I love the paint job (evidence that you are my offspring) and the oil-based paint will just make it more durable. Love the pictures, too, especially the one of you, B, and the one of two sanding boys. Thanks for sharing your day with us!

Casey said...

You three are all so cute!

Catherine said...

What a fab little step stool! I'm sure that both you and Orrin's craftsmanship is at the maximum as shown with this stool.