Monday, March 12, 2007

Stan the Man

Last night we watched Fargo. A few nights ago we watched Little Miss Sunshune. What's the significance? I don't know! But both movies had minor characters named Stan Grossman. Here's what we know about this elusive man:

Stan Grossman, Fargo: played by Larry Brandenburg, born in Wabasha, MN in 1948. In the story of Fargo he is the accountant who guides Wade Gustafson in paying the ransom for his kidnapped daughter, and also fuels Jerry Lundegards desperation be turning down his "heck of a deal" parking lot scheme.

Stan Grossman, Sunshine: played by Bryan Cranston, born 1956 in San Fernado Valley, CA. In this movie Stan Grossman is the business man trying to put together a book deal for Richard's motivational material. When the deal doesn't go through, Stan turns a blind eye to Richard's disappointment.

In both films Stan Grossman represents the shrewd business man with his eye on the bottom line, crushing the hopes of simple men and driving them to make rash decisions. Sadly, neither dive into the depths of Stan's fragile psyche to examine what made him this way, how can he close his heart to the ambitions and desires of men with dreams? Until the day when someone turns the camera onto his soul, Stan Grossmen will remain with his secrets hidden and his name sounding like a generic pencil pusher.

2 comments:

Casey said...

Oh my goodness. I miss you.

Paul said...

Hi there, I don't know you, but I created a wikipedia page for "Stan Grossman," the shrewd and elusive character in "Fargo" and "Little Miss Sunshine." I Googled both films and Mr. Grossman and came across your blog.

I referenced and credited your blog in my submission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Grossman_(character)