Monday, July 23, 2007

Big Bed

For the past couple nights Silas has been "requesting" the big bed when he goes to bed at night. This means the twin sized bed that is in his room that has been used for the past year as a changing table, a toy and laundry dump, and a place for a parent to crash when Silas needed a little company falling asleep.
The first time he asked I said OK and then he wiggled and squirmed and climbed in and out for 45 minutes before I finally placed him back in his crib. But then he started falling asleep for his naps there. So last night was the trial run of the big bed for the little boy.
We came home from a short hike and had planned to make perogis for dinner. Orrin was craving them and we thought it would be a fun activity for our little family since we hadn't done much else over the weekend.
Silas was having none of it. He was really grumpy and had a little bit of a fever. So Orrin and I alternated cuddling with him on the couch reading Farm Animal Sounds, otherwise known as "Cow Book" and trying to get some dinner on the table. Silas ate nothing but a handful of raisins and four or five strawberries and I wolfed down the potato and cheese and sauerkraut and bacon perogis that Orrin had cooked to perfection. Then I took Silas upstairs, threw a diaper on him and laid him on the bed. Before I was even through half a chapter of Winnie-the-Pooh he had fallen asleep clutching his sippy cup of milk. (I know you aren't supposed to put a kid to bed with milk and we almost always brush his teeth before bed, but desperate times call for desperate measures.)
He slept pretty well, although the potty training might be backfiring, since he woke up at 3 saying he needed to pee. He did. But he didn't fall back asleep for good until around 5 with Orrin sacked out beside him.
This morning I bought a waterproof sheet for the bed, so we'll try again tonight. Our current go-to-sleep routine is Silas "reads" his favorite book, "Construction Trucks" a couple times. It consists of proclaiming "big trackor" and "lello trackor" and "forkliff" and occasionally "track avator" (track excavator- the book is nothing if not complete and specific). Then I convince him to put his book down while I read Winnie-the-Pooh and he rolls around with a stuffed Pooh Bear, before he finally closes his eyes and falls asleep.
It would certainly be nice to have a potty trained toddler sleeping in his own big bed before the new baby arrives, but I don't know if I'll be that lucky.

1 comment:

Lise M. said...

Oh, it sounds like Silas is doing a pretty good job of giving you your wish. That's a lot of adjusting for a little boy, but you and Orrin are doing a great job helping him learn all his toddler duties. I miss you all so much; thanks for sharing these little snippets of your days (and nights)!