Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Quick updates

Potty training- two thumbs up. Two days no accidents. Well, maybe one if you count this morning at 6 when Orrin thought he had a diaper on from the night and when Silas told him he had to pee, Orrin told him to go in his diaper. Hmm.. guess I should have told Orrin I took it off when Silas woke up at 5:30 saying he had to pee.
Big bed- one thumb down. Not falling out. Still insisting on sleeping in it, but waking up at 2 or 3 in the morning, and only falling back asleep if we are in bed with him or sitting in the room. Maybe this has nothing to do with the bed, and it's just a phase or whatever. But it's hard. And I'm hoping it's over quickly.
Swimming- I've been going swimming more recently to get some exercise since the weather's been not so great for exercising outside. So since I have a pass to the pool Silas has been going a lot more. He's more confident around the water, but still not reckless, so it's really fun. He jumps off the wall to my arms, and puts his face underwater. He had water wings on today which were fun but he gets so excited to be floating on his own that he opens his mouth really wide and ends up swallowing, or inhaling water.
Pets- We bought a gerbil today. We had intended to get a guinea pig, but the cages were huge! So gerbil instead. Silas loves to watch the thing run around like a maniac and giggles contagiously. We don't have a name yet. Orrin suggested Silas name it, but Silas only calls it gerbil and sometimes rabbit. It would be confusing to have a gerbil named Rabbit, right? It already escaped once, (I was holding it and trying to open the cage) and every time it would poke its wee head out from under the phone table Silas would say "Hey, gerbil! Hi gerbil!" Cute.

7 comments:

KLee said...

Good deal on the potty training! I hope it continues!

Sorry about the big bed. My daughter did that, too. I would have to sleep in the bed with her for about 30 minutes to get her to actually sleep. Can't tell you how many times I woke up at 1 or 2 in the morning still in her bed. :)

I love to swim, but unfotrunately, our municipal pool is closed for repairs. So, I've gotten jack in the way of exercise this summer. I need to step it up a bit. Glad that Silas loves the pool, though the water inhalation doesn't sound like an awful lot of fun.

Welcome to the family, gerbil! My family has the habit of naming things cutesy names, like Geoffrey the Gerbil, or Henry the Horse, so I can't offer any suggestions.

Lindy Lois said...

i think Rabbit the Gerbil is a perfect name. confusing, special, cuddly. everything you want in a gerbil (and a gerbil name)

Lise M. said...

I vote for Rabbit as a name - and so does Catherine. It is confusing to NAME something - that is, with a name that isn't just what it is...like Rosie the goat, or Scout the dog...a hard concept for a two-year-old.
So, does Rabbit need any toys, like one of those balls he can "run" in while rolling around the house?

EmmaL said...

I vote for Rabbit too!

ccw said...

You're certainly doing much better than we are with the potty training. I swear she knows when she needs to go and how to go but she'll still pee on herself. Drives.me.bonkers!

I would love to swim for exercise but I am too lazy to drag myself to the pool. Thankfully, I have exercise TV on demand or else I would never move.

Welcome gerbil! I always had hamsters so NSBH's guinea pig was a first. I am just blown away by her presonable they are. He comes when you "call" him, shows happiness when you pet him, and is all round neat. The cage is big but they are not messy.

Anonymous said...

It's not a good idea to have just one gerbil. They're social animals, and they suffer greatly when alone. If yours is a male, you can have two or several together, and they'll be fine. There are websites where you can find out how to introduce gerbils to each other, so they don't fight when they first meet. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I should add: if your gerbil is a female, you should get one more female (only one, because 3 females can form a unstable relationship and fights can break out). Two females is the only arrangement for female gerbils. With males, you can have as many as you like, as long as they aren't overcrowded.

There really is a ton of great info out there, all you have to do is google "Gerbils." Hope this helps. Best wishes!