Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Homesick? Or is that your stomach talking?

I spent all day trying not to remember that yesterday was memorial day. It made me really homesick for spicy Italian sausages, the smell of the grill, fried onions and green peppers, baked beans, and potato salad. I tried not to think about warm weather, sunshine, campfires, cousins, sisters, and parents.
It's still not remotely summer like here. It's a perpetual spring all summer long. I used to think spring was my favorite season. Not too hot. Not too cold. Everything greening up. But it's also rainy and a little chilly. And as much as I love sweaters, it would be nice to just go with a t-shirt for a day. To actually feel warm. Ah well. It will make me appreciate the seasons when we get home again.
We went kayaking on the ocean on Sunday. Our neighbors have a couple inflatable boats, so we drove down with them. Silas ate an approximate tablespoon of sand. There was no way around it. He dropped his cracker in the sand and one of the guys we were with picked it up and said threw it away. As though the sand covering Silas' hands and face was somehow more edible than the sand that covered the cracker. At one point the drool from his mouth made a little reverse goatee in the sand that crusted his chin. He definitely had a good time crawling around on the beach, even though we were all in sweatshirts and jeans. The kayacking was fun too with some great views of the sea caves and coast line. We didn't spot any wildlife other than a teeny tiny jellyfish, though.
Last night, the sister of one of Orrin's groomsman visited us. She is on a couple month tour of Europe, so I made a nice big dinner (veggie curry feast!), went out for ice cream, and went for a walk with her before rushing to catch the bus to Cork this morning.
And tomorrow morning we leave for Germany! I'm so excited to see Rachel and Trey and Scout. I've packed salami so maybe Scout will forgive me for my earlier blog infraction. Also books for Rachel and tortillas for Trey. I hope I remember how to hold a newborn while I'm there.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Have fun in Germany!