Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Family Update

Orrin: Just finished his second day as group leader of test engineering. Things seem to be going ok. He's supervising two other engineers who also applied for the position and have about 10 years more experience than he does. It makes things a little sticky for him, but he is so good natured, relaxed, honest, and intuitive about people that I'm sure everything will go well.

Silas: Still sleeping at night! Hooray! He's still waking up at 5 am, and I'm still giving him a little snack then, and he goes back to sleep for a couple more hours. Once we get the sleep pattern a little more firmly established we'll try to eliminate that. For right now I'm so grateful for the sleep that I'm afraid to mess with it. Also, he's become a little nibbler. He's pick up a bite to eat, take a bite, but it down. Pick up another piece, take a little nibble. It's so cute! He ate an entire pear in the car today on the way home from the Cork airport. And half a peach this afternoon. What a juicy, sticky, mess!

Nathan: He's arrived safe and sound. Orrin's brother is visiting us for a month. Hence the trip to the airport to pick him up this morning. Silas, who has gotten a little attached (read: clingy) to Mom in the past couple weeks, already seems to feel pretty comfortable with him. Maybe Silas remembers him? He certainly doesn't see any resemblance to his father.
So far Nathan doesn't seem to jet lagged, and he walked down to the grocery store with us, acting as my pack animal on the way home.

Bridget: I finished Kite Runner. It's maybe a tad contrived. Some of the twists and turns in the book are unbelievable. But it's a very compelling story, and definitely emotional, and the type of thing you will stay up lae into the night just to see what happens type of thing.
And I'm trying to figure out how to get a babysitter. Not the actual mechanics of how to get one, but more the emotional process of leaving Silas with someone who is not family, and ensuring that he won't be a screaming banshee for the hours I am gone. We bought tickets for all three of us to go to this drumming group called Dulsori, and it starts about an hour before Silas's usual bedtime. I'm thinking of trying some trial runs of nursing him a little earlier, and then seeing how long it will take his Dad to get him to sleep. I know someone willing to babysit must also be willing to listen to a baby cry, but I still don't want to condemn the poor babysitter to constant whining and crying. It makes me think of the babysitter in Calvin and Hobbes, where they have to pay her in advance.

No comments: