Thursday, June 15, 2006

When life gives you incisions, make scotcharoos

Just try to pretend this post was up a week ago or so...

I used to think they were just called rice krispie treats. They were the standard rice krispie based cookie in our house growing up. It wasn't until later that I was exposed to the marshmallow rice krispie treats, that I realized how many people lived the unenlightened life- scotcharoo-less. For anyone still in that sad state- these things are equal parts sugar, corn syrup, and peanut butter, mixed with krispies and topped with melted chocolate and butterscotch chips.
I've never done a scientific study on the curative effects of scotcharoos but I do know that the daily dose of them provided by Grandma Lois, Aunt Susan, and Cousin Laura, following my appendectomy greatly speeded my recovery. Or at least made the hospital stay more bearable.
Thus, I was charged with creating the healing elixir for Rachel following the birth of Ellis. Now, I've been making these bars as long as I can remember but it is no easy task in Germany, or at least in Bammentaul, Germany.
Rachel had acquired something she thought was golden syrup, peanut butter is available, and sugar of course. But the real problem was the cereal. The only rice krispies to be found were in the fun sized variety packs, and only 1 out of six baxes were krispies. So I opted instead for coco krispies. I figured that way I didn't have to hassle with a chocolate topping.
Well, they weren't exactly scotharoos, we dubbed them german poopy bars. Somehow, and I don't quite know if it was the syrup, (which ended up being more like a combination of honey and molasses) or that I didn't make quite enough sauce for the cereal. Somehow they didn't really hold together.
It didn't stop us from devouring them of course, and making a second batch to figure out what I did wrong.

No comments: