Friday, May 26, 2006

The brave little toaster.

A while ago I mentioned that all the appliances in the house were "out to get me." That may have been a little paranoid, and overstated. I don't really think they are out to get me, but they do annoy me. I know I should be grateful. I know I should be thankful that I don't have to beat stinky diapers against a rock down by the river, or less melodramatically, go to the laundry mat.
I know I shouldn't complain. But then I just wouldn't be me. And who wants that? So now for a detailed whining session about the various electonic furnishings of the house.

1. Dishwasher: The door doesn't stay open. You have hold it down with your foot, or pull the bottom rack out onto it to weigh it down. Very handy when you have to hold a baby to keep him from climbing into the dishwasher and pulling knives out of the silverware basket. Also does a really crappy job of cleaning the glasses, gives a nice crusty cemented goo on the inside. They actually come out dirty then they go in.
2. Washer and Dryer: Front loading. Great for water conservation I know. Crappy for jamming full of stinky diapers. There is a gap between the drum and the door where the diaper wipes (cut up t-shirts) get stuck and do not get clean. Once a diaper didn't get wiped out thoroughly and a little turd landed on the ledge inside the door and was not dislodged by the machine. Because it's front loading the entire cycle has to complete before you can open the door, so I just had to scoop them out after the laundry was done. The dryer seems to be stuck on the setting where it basically twists your clothes into tight little spirals. I'm pretty wrinkle tolerant but you couldn't get your leg into some of the pants they were twisted so tightly. I hate ironing. I've done it more in the past 3 months than I have in the past three years.
3. Oven: It's a convection oven so the fan is always on and it really seems to screw with cookies. The burners are gas which I like, but the lowest setting is scorch, so it's a little tricky cooking anything over low heat.
4. Refrigerator and Freezer: It's not as small as I was prepared for so that's the good thing. It is smaller than a standard american one, but I was expecting tiny dorm sized under the cabinet type of thing. But, it is very humid in there. So humid the back wall os covered by condensention all the time. I didn't think this would be such a big deal, but lo, it causes mold to grow in record time. Leftovers are safe for maybe- maybe- two days. There is a drain in the back of the fridge that is supposed to remove all this condensation and when we first moved in the drain was actually clogged with mold. It took us several weeks to uncover why the fridge reeked when there was nothing in it but baking soda and a few tomatoes. The freezer is tiny, and in the most ineffecinet use of space ever, has three sections with enough molded plastic to reduce the storage capacity by about 1/3. And the top section has a little door that was broken so it would fall down everytime I opened the freezer, and required me to hold it in place with my foot while closing the main door with my hip, while balancing Silas on my other hip. Eventually in a fit of rage I ripped the little door off, which I think is pretty bad for energy conservation of the freezer, but very beneficial for my sanity.
5. Toaster: The toaster is actually really nice, fast, even browning, four stars! I'd give it a hug except that it gets blazing hot on the outside.

Now you know what a selfish, dissatisfied, spoiled ingate I really am.

2 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

I totally hear you on the front-loading washer. Is it really saving water if I have to wash every load two and three times to get it clean?

Casey said...

I'm laughing with you, not at you. Ha ha ha.

I'm glad you have a nice toaster.