Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I am not a soft serve machine, and other observations

There was a time when Silas was getting sleepy when taking him upstairs, or sometimes even just sitting on the couch, and nursing him would cause him to instantly fall asleep. These days he nurses, looks around, flails, samples one side, then the other, and then in frustration bangs his head in the middle of my chest as if trying to figure out how to get the elusive twist. In a waffle cone of course. It's really maddening when he's fiercely rubbing his eyes he's so tired and yet no amount of milk, rocking, walking, or singing will comfort him. When exactly is teething over?

We walked into town this morning and I found a great bookstore. It's tiny but has everything crammed in there somehow. I also found a used bookstore that was not so nice, but if you are looking for trashy paperbacks to take to your sister who is stranded in Germany with no English reading material and about to give birth to a child and be subject to endless nursing sessions requiring piles of books in order not to lose her mind, then it's a good place for that. Don't worry Rachel, they aren't trashy, I found some good ones- I think...

I saw this woman riding her bike in town today and when she wanted to stop she left her left foot on the pedal and crossed her right foot in front of her over the low slung center bar and dropped it behind her left foot and kind of coasted along using her right foot to propel herself along whiel slowing down. It looked so very cool and lady like. I suppose I won't be able to do this on my boys bike with the high bar, but I'm making note of it so that one day when I get my super cool cruiser bike I can test out the move. I hope I'm describing it in a way that you can understand.

As soon as we got home from our walk, it started to downpour. Hooray for good timing!

6 comments:

Casey said...

Aagh. Ivy didn't really finish teething until she was almost 2. It's a suck.

Henry said...

We don't understand the bike manuever.
Come again?

Bridget said...

Trey- Orrin tells me this is a really normal thing, and that it's not something to tell the whole wide internet that I am amazed by. I will demonstrate it to you when I visit and then you will see that I am a big ol' dork.

Casey said...

I know what you're talking about with the bike. I used to do that all the time as a kid, and I was amazed at my own awesomeness.

Lindy Lois said...

i do that on my bike!!!

but i do have a beach cruiser, which makes it much easier. and the blue body with pink rims do up the lady-like (or at least girly) factor. i also ride my bike in a skirt (albeit with shorts underneath...)

i feel WAY cool. it's like bike side saddle.

Bridget said...

it is like bike side saddle! excellent despcription.