Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy 4th!

There were no parades and no fireworks in Ireland today. At least not that we attended. We did see the space shuttle launch, and had a barbecue with a group of Americans Orrin works with.
Silas had another night sans parents. Uncle Nathan was on duty. I got him asleep in his crib right before we had to leave for the show, and just as I closed the door to his room he woke up. So 10 minutes of screaming and he fell back asleep- I'd say Nathan got away pretty easy on that one. Silas has also started just waking up and singing/talking to himself in the crib. I'd heard other parents talk about this, but never, never! imagined Silas would happily be awake and alone in a room. Crazy happenings.

Orrin and I went to see Odetta and Liam Clancey. It was a fantastic show. Very small venue, so we could actually see their faces. They were wonderful hosts, telling great stories of Greenwich Village and White Horse Tavern days, sharing reading, teaching songs to the audience. Odetta sang one of my all time favorites, Rock Island Line. Also a strange sort of version of the hokey pokey- I don't know how she did it, but somehow her voice made it sound amazing and brilliant.
We learned some new Irish songs, really sad ones about "the troubles" and one called the Belle of Belfast. And heard some old favorites- Irish Rover and Wild Mountain Thyme.

I'm a rambler
I'm a gambler
I'm a long way from home
And If you don't like me
Then leave me alone

I'll eat when I'm hungry
I'll drink when I'm dry
And if moonshine don't kill me
I'll live 'til I die

3 comments:

ccw said...

Happy 4th!

Sounds like you had a nice day and evening even without fireworks and a parade.

Henry said...

Ohhh...I am jealous of you getting to see Odetta. She is one of my favs on PHC.

purple_kangaroo said...

Sounds like fun. I love Irish/Celtic style music.

Baby E is starting to play in her crib sometimes when she wakes up from naps, too.