Sunday, July 30, 2006

You wouldn't think something that comes so easily would take up so much time

You'll forgive my absence for a few days. I was busy competing in the All-Ireland Final for grouchiest woman in the country. Normally you have to be an Irish citizen to compete, but they made an exception for me. Really you shouldn't say no to anyone grumpy enough to be in the running for the grouchy title.

I really had no reason for being so grumpy. Sure, Orrin's been staying at work late and Silas has been a little extra whiney. But they are also super darling. Silas helped me unload the dishwasher- handing me all the bowls from the bottom rack. Orrin washed the diapers AND hung them out on the line. Silas gobbled down blueberries, apples, and crackers and was as sweet as they come on our hike yesterday. Orrin cleaned the entire kitchen and sent me to go for a relaxing swim Friday night.

And yet; I fumed at Orrin, snapped at Silas, and crabbed at my mom on the phone, in the final round, I almost had a toddler-style melt down because the table was sticky at dinner. Of course I couldn't just say, wipe off the table and be done with it. Oh no, that's not the way to the championship crown of grouch. Luckily, sweet Silas looked at me with such adorable, wide eyes, at just the right moment, and suddenly the three days of funk just ended.

And today has been good. Despite the return of the rain. And looking back, there were plenty of things to be happy about the last few days too. I must learn to just open my eyes and relax to see the good. To appreciate that I was able to get an appointment with the doctor of my choice in town for Silas's 1 year vaccinations. That Silas was invited to a 'play-date.' That there was fresh trout at the farmers market.

I know, I'll lose the title, but I think it's better that way.

1 comment:

Henry said...

I am struggling with this choice as well: championship glory as world's grumpiest man or reasonable family life.