Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Milk Tales

Now that Silas is a year old, I feel like I should at least begin gently nudging him towards less nursing. I'm not going to say weaning, because I think that will be a long time coming. But it seems like going more than 2 or 3 hours without nursing is probably a good skill to learn by this age.

So this morning for breakfast he had homemade quinoa bread, toasted and spread with tahini and homemade black raspberry jam (June '05- thanks Catherine and Rachel- it's delicious! well worth the scratches, esp. since they weren't mine :) ) and his first taste of non-human milk. Not technically true, since the nurses gave him a couple ounces of cow milk based formula in the hospital, and we sometimes give him corn and bran flakes out of our cereal bowls in the morning. Let's just say this was his first sanctioned non-human milk in considerable quantity. It was goat milk. They say it's better metabolised than cow milk, and I think it's probably a good idea to use a variety of sources.

At first I was just giving him sips of milk from my glass, but he kept putting his hand in it and then sucking the milk off his fingers. So I moved it to a sippy cup. You know how when kids are first starting to drink out a sippy cup they don't always understand that you have to tip the cup to get the fluid to the spout? Silas has finally figured that out and was tipping the cup entirely upside down, holding the spout in this mouth, and then letting go of the handles. He looked like a trained seal.

After our jog, or should I say my jog and Silas's ride? he was ready for a nap, which means nursing. He nursed for a good half an hour, which is a long time for him. And he kept making swallowing noises, although I had no idea there was that much milk in there.

Was he just savoring it? Or was he faking it? Either way, is he on to me?

1 comment:

ccw said...

I think he's on to you or else he is honing his mommy guilt skills.

I'm impressed by the grip of his teeth. I have such a cute mental image of him and the cup.