Last night Silas came to the theatre with us. His first dramatic experience. Or at least his first dramatic experience of which he was not the star. And I guess technically it wasn't a theatre, it was a cafe that had a stage set up in one end. Still, he had to be fairly quiet and sit still for two hours.
Are we stupid?! He's a one year old! Me thinks you under-estimate Super Silas! He did fantastically. Really.
The play, a one woman show called "I Miss Communism," was pretty frantic; with dancing, singing, costume changes on the fly, and silly running around. And curious little Silas, couldn't take his eyes off the woman. At least for the first half. The second half we had to resort to gnawing on an apple, a little nursing, and finally standing up and swaying back and forth. I was pretty amazed, and had several people comment how good he was. Whew!
Silas has been so good in the past few weeks. Or maybe I'm just choosing to block out the bad in a fit of nostalgia on the occasion of his upcoming birthday.
I love his turbo charged, deliberate, hugely exaggerated crawling. I love the way he opens a cabinet door he's not supposed to be in, looks back at you, waits for you to notice, then squeals in delight when you say out! and scoop him up. I love the way he steps out of his pants while getting him undressed for bath time. I love how he climbs to the edge of the bed, couch, or top of the stairs, turns around and slides himself down feet first. I love the little suprised noises he makes as he hold his mouth in a perfect O. I love the way he pats my shoulder as if in encouragement when I carry him on my back.
I suppose I also love that he is pretty willing to try new foods. Everything we put in front of him he at least will try. I guess he's too curious not to put it in his mouth and then thrust it out with a look of horror and mistrust if it is not to his liking. I am not loving the need to throw bits of food overboard. Really. I get that the white bean was not appealing to you this evening. You didn't need to scream to have all three offending beans handed to you for you to fling to the floor, lest their appearance mar the beauty of your crumb covered highchair tray. Yes, I am a fool to continue handing them to him, but he so convincingly looks like he might eat it, I fall for it every time. (ok, so the nostalgia is not blocking out all the bad)
In the same vein of nostalgia I feel like I should record Silas's diet for today. It's pretty typical, although dinner is usually a bigger hit than tonight's was. Here goes.
Breakfast: 1/4 cup plain yogurt, 1/4 of a peach, water
Morning snack: Milk
Lunch: 2 strawberries, 3 slices of cheddar cheese (only red cheddar, please), 1/2 slice pilgrim bread with a little rhubarb conserve, milk
Afternoon Snack: Milk
Dinner: 1/2 slice pilgrim bread with tahini and raspberry mango spread, possibly a few shards of carrot, parsnip, broccoli, cauliflower, and beans.
Bedtime snack: Milk
While Silas flung his dinner about, the rest of us enjoyed a delicious roast leg of lamb with garlic herb crust, braised white beans with tomatoes, maple mashed carrot and parsnip, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, and peach shortcake with whipped cream for dessert.
Tomorrow is the last day of the festival. We're going to a marionette show at the library and the circus. There is a grand finale parade tomorrow evening as well. It's been a fun week, but busy, a little tiring. Orrin and Nathan have a long bike ride planned for Sunday. Silas and I will be lounging around the house in our pj's.
1 comment:
He is such a good eater!
Post a Comment