Monday, July 03, 2006

Random happenings and SUPER! CUTE! PHOTOS!

The Clonmel Junction Festival is in full swing- and I am worn out by it- and we still have six days to go.
So far we have gone to the "launch" event which had previews of the circus and Korean drummers. The Korean drummers, a group called Dulsori ( it means wild beat in Korean) had these hats with a long ribbon on top and as they danced around and drummed they made these pretty amazing spirals with the ribbons.
Nathan and I went to a play called Wallflowering, which was a funny but sad; is that called poignant? It was about a married couple who practiced ballroom dancing, and then the wife started reading "books" and getting "ideas". It was about her growth and awakening and the husband figuring out how to respond. What I found especially interesting was that her friends, who were the impetus for the growth, were also giant jerks. So she really wanted her husband to be her partner, but he was resistant to the changes in her. Very interesting and insightful.
Orrin stayed home with Silas, which by all accounts went fine. He didn't need to nurse to fall asleep, and he still slept until 5:30.
Yesterday we all sent out to the Clonmel Show at Powerstown Race Course. It was basically like a state fair, but on a smaller scale. And horse jumping and showing was emphasized more. They also had sheep dog trials and agility trials, which I had never seen before. Some of the dogs were pretty amazing the way they cut the sheep out and got them penned. The agility training was neat too- the dogs jumping over poles, going through tunnels weaving in and out of poles. I can't imagine Sophie doing any of those things. I was surprised at the variety of breeds of dogs that were trained also- everything from english sheep dogs to boxers to collies. I'd say the german shepherds were the most popular though. We watched quite a bit of the cattle competition; beautiful red Herefords, giant Belgian blues (I'd never seen one in person before- they have the most enormous, muscular butt checks you've ever seen on a cow), lanky Fresians. We also saw some amazing east African acrobats, and a donkey derby. They had a free jockey spot, and we tried to convince Nathan to ride a donkey, but to no avail.
After the long hot (napless) day at the race course we headed home and got cleaned up. Silas had his first non-family babysitter ever! It didn't go so well. I mean the babysitter was fine, but Silas was screaming and screaming. So she had to take him for a walk in the stroller virtually the entire time she was here. He fell asleep once and she headed for home but as soon as she got in the door and stopped moving he woke up, and she went right back out the door. So he didn't get to bed until about 10 when we got home. He was pretty exhausted today.
But we went to the Raheen house for the drumming performance. It was a gorgeous night, and beautiful gardens. They had set up painted screens all around the stage, and dozens of beautiful drums. They had a very infectious energy that made them so much fun to watch, and participate with clapping, singing, and dancing.
Today we had nothing planned- so it was a recovery day. We just did grocery shopping, walking around town, and going for a bike ride. Hmm.. Not much of a recovery. But I did actually get a nap in for an hour.

But big big news- pictures of River! Could he be cuter? Can't wait to meet him!


And for those of you missing Silas pictures here he is on the beach.

He learned how to climb down the stairs today. Finally figured out the whole feet first thing. He's unstoppable! Except for the whole feeding and diapering himself thing.

2 comments:

Lise M. said...

What fun! Sounds like I picked the wrong week to visit Clonmell-are you going to see Odetta? Thanks for the pictures. River is a cutie! But in my totally unbiased opinion, not as cute as that rascally Silas(or baby Ellis)!
I'm sorry the babysitter had to struggle so, but Silas will get better with practice. Is she willing to try it again? Miss you!

ccw said...

Cute pictures!

If he learns to diaper and feed himself please share his secrets! :)