Sunday, April 30, 2006

Another Bank Holiday weekend, another weekend that we stay at home

There are bank holiday weekends about once a month in Ireland. Which usually just means a Monday off from work for Orrin, but everybody takes a little vacation. Well, everybody but us. We think about doing something until Friday and then realize we are too tired to do anything and stay home.
Then on Saturday morning we realize we really should take advantage of living in Ireland and try to find something nearby. This weekend's excursion of no-effort was to the next town over, Cahir.
Silas drove us over. He gets really impatient at the round-about. I don't blame him there are a lot of idiot drivers over here. (no actually we're parked)

We went to a really cute cottage orne on the River Suir. It was built when it was all the rage for the nobility to pretend they were peasants. It's pretty ridiculous. They used walnut and mahogany floorboards, then painted them to tone down the luxury. There is a wine cellar and a servants entrance. So, not very realistic peasants. Or as realistic as distressed wood and shabby chic I guess. It is a really pretty little place though, and we had gorgeous weather so it was a thoroughly enjoyable day.


And now that we've done our sight seeing for the weekend, today I really have to catch up on bills and filing, and assorted other things that I put off all week. And then we battle the slugs in the garden. Poor little cucumber is losing foliage by the hour.

1 comment:

Henry said...

This is my favorite post so far Bridget. I hate roundabouts too.