Saturday, April 08, 2006

when i grow up

I go to a Mom's group most Thursday's. It's just a group of other ex-pat and Irish women who get together to visit, who also happen to have kids. Most of them are pre-school kids, but a couple of Mom's have older kids. We also have a handbook called "Five Star Families" and we're supposed to read a chapter and watch a video and discuss a little bit. I don't even have the book, but anyway, last week, the chapter was on "growth." And a big part of the point was to not just let yourself stagnate as a Mom. To remember to have a relationship with your husband, and do some things outside of being a Mom, to continue to grow as your own person.
I can understand that's difficult to do while you are running around, changing diapers, the only books you read are "Pajama Time" and "Goodnight Moon." Who has time for anything else?
But one of the things I think you can always do is plan, or dream, about the future. I'm not saying not to enjoy the present. I'm not saying to be constanly fantasizing about what life will be like when the kids are grown up. But come on- everyone has goals, right?
Well, one woman at the group actually said, "All I've ever wanted to do was be a Mom."
Can this be true? None of the other women seemed puzzled, or concerned by this statement. In fact, most of them seemed to agree with this woman.
So am I the only one that dreamed about being a doctor, a ballerina, a photographer, an archeologist? Would they think I'm a bad mom because I dream about a day when I'll be running my own farm?

No comments: