I was reading this interesting post and the associated links, and of course started thinking about how it applied to me. Beyond just what some of the most important books in my life have been, The Red Tent, most recently, if you are interested.
Orrin enjoys reading fiction, and pretty much reads whatever I bring home from the library for him. So recently there was a fantasy/adventure book called The Adventures of Rumo, then an Irish Mythology book, and now Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. But I think he probably wouldn't read much if I weren't feeding him a a steady diet.
Then of course I started thinking about Silas. Will he grow to love books? Not just for chewing purposes? So I found this interesting article about how boys are slower to learn to read and often find it boring, and some hypothesis as to why that is. As if I didn't have enough worries about raising a son, coming from a family of all girls.
I think it's innate that I would want to share with my children the books and stories I loved growing up. Pippi Longstockings, The Middle Sister, Charlotte's Web, Number the Stars, The Silver Pencil, Quest for a Maid. But these are deemed "girl stories," so the internet tells me. I hope I will raise a son to look past that and read what interests him regardless of the gender of the author or protaganist. But I guess, if not it's a good thing I can at least recommend Where the Red Fern Grows, Redwall, and The Series of Unfortunate Events.
2 comments:
Sials will love to read - because his parents read! And you will take the time to read TO him, even after he can read for himself. Most boys don't read because their parents don't value it as much as other "boy" activities. But you and Orrin value literacy and literature enough to include it Silas's and all you children's lives. As for choices, read what you love and look for new heroes, too, in fiction and in non-fiction. Huckleberry Finn was my water-shed book in 10th grade!
What about "the Wind in the Willows"? I think that is a "boy book" (if such a thing exists, which I doubt it does) and the Lloyd Alexander books? Don't worry, once Silas can start reading, he will get plenty of books from his aunt Catherine
Post a Comment